Sunday, June 5, 2011

Donovan's Foray into Cooking

Yesterday afternoon, Donovan decided it was time to come up with a fun recipe to make for dinner.  This is not unusual, we love cooking together on weekends.  However, this particular time, he declared that he would be doing the cooking and I could just relax.  Wow!  No argument on my part.  So we chose a recipe we've been wanting to try for awhile, "Bucatini All'Amatriciana with Spicy Smoked Mozzarella Meatballs" (recipe here), and after a lovely bike ride to our neighborhood grocery store to get the ingredients Donovan got to work.  I stayed nearby to photograph the experience and answer any random questions he might have.

First, he got all his ingredients chopped up and ready to go...


But grating the onion wasn't very fun...


Next, it's time to mix up the meatball mixture...


"Wait, I seriously have to mix it up with my hands?"


We couldn't find smoked mozzarella, so we used regular and they still came out delicious. 


Time to make the sauce!  Start by frying some pancetta in a little olive oil...


Then add tomatoes, onion, garlic, and spices, and stir with a smile...


Meatballs are done!  And they look super yummy...


Time to mix the sauce into the pasta, and then laugh about the gross picture it makes...


And voila!  Dinner is ready...

3 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! Well done Donovan! I'll have to try that recipe out sometime soon, maybe after my own hubby comes home. :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Donovan can now add culinary prowess to his many talents. I do have one fundamental question...Who cleaned up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - the recipe was yet another winner from the Giada book you gave me. Thanks again :)

    Debbie - that would be me! I guess it's only fair, since he worked so hard cooking.

    ReplyDelete