Friday, November 16, 2012

Thailand

When my parents first brought up the idea of joining them in Bangkok for ten days, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  But I soon discovered that Thailand is a fascinating place, and although spending the majority of my visit solely in Bangkok provided only a small glimpse into the country, I found the culture to be beautiful.

My first impression of the city itself is that it's a bit disgusting.  Between the pollution, the garbage scattered on the side of the streets, the odd smells of the mystery food being cooked by the street vendors, and the oppressing heat and humidity, it's enough to make you want to hide out in the hotel room.  But then the beauty begins to shine out amidst the dirt.  The flowers growing on the side of the road, elephant statues, an ornate temple sandwiched between two rundown buildings.  And the people are so friendly.  Sure, there are plenty of guys trying to lure in unsuspecting tourists for a wild tuk tuk ride around the city, but everyone has a smile and is willing to help. 

There were plenty of adventures on this trip, all of which I'll share in future posts, but for now here are a few bits and pieces of what we saw.


2 comments:

  1. Heidi, thanks for the tour. Fab fotos as always. Glad there's no smell included!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I made sure to leave the smell there...

      Delete