Thursday, August 18, 2011

Birthday, Basil, and Scone Deliciousness

Hey everyone!  Sorry for the sad lack of blogging...it's been pretty quiet around here lately.  Donovan's away for a few weeks and I really haven't done anything overly exciting. Regardless, here's a few highlights of the last week and a half. 

My birthday, even though the hubster was gone and I had to celebrate by myself.  It actually wasn't that bad.  I made a super yummy dinner of gnocchi with goat cheese and that sort of made up for the fact that Donovan was missing out.  Sort of. 


I even made some delish panna cotta for dessert. 


Yummy!  Seriously, this might be my favorite Italian dessert so far.  I'm in love.

Last week I also adopted a couple basil plants.  This is actually take two on the basil, my first attempt unfortunately didn't go very well.  I blame it on not watering it while we were in Croatia, but the truth is it was beyond the point of return before we left.  I just don't have much of a green thumb...every single plant we've ever had has died.  No joke.


I call them Lucy and Lola.  And if they die, I'm giving up on plants forever.  But, I'm happy to say, it's been a whole week and they're still looking healthy.  Maybe there's some hope after all!

Today I occupied myself by playing around with a recipe for Orange Scones that I tried a few days ago but wanted to make some changes to.  They were delicious the first time, but they were amazing the second time and even a teensy bit healthier.  Well, as healthy as a scone packed with butter and sugar can be. 

I will be back tomorrow to share the recipe with you all!  And once Donovan get's back next week hopefully we'll have some more exciting adventures to share!

2 comments:

  1. 1) I kill plants too... I want to change that...

    2) That gnocchi looks delicious!

    3) Tiramisu is definitely my favorite Italian dessert, no question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To keep basil alive, sunny spot, water only when dry, harvest a few leaves every day. Use or freeze just as they are. Don't allow plant to flower, pop the flowers off as soon as they form. Plant will be bushier.
    Mighty fine cuisine

    ReplyDelete